“I’m a girl. See what I can be!” is a series of poems written by the creator and executive producer of the International Emmy® Nominated series WomenTalk, Eunice Olsen. Inspired by the interviews she has conducted on WomenTalk, this collection of poems features stories of 10 strong and courageous Asian women.
The 10 women featured in this book are:
1. Anamika Subba, an Outreach Officer from Nepal with Childreach Nepal, an organisation that aims to improve access to healthcare, education and child protection.
2. Faith Ng, a Singaporean playwright, who has written several award-winning plays that shed light on important social issues.
3. Dr Gerlinda Lucas, a passionate doctor from the Philippines who has lived and worked in countries, such as Russia, Cambodia and Afghanistan.
4. See Too Hoi Siang Joanna, a Chinese opera artist in Singapore, who has dedicated her life to keeping this traditional art form alive.
5. Lek, who runs a sanctuary for elephants in Chiang Mai, Thailand and is known as the “Elephant Mother”.
6. Lena Sim, a self-made entrepreneur and the founder of Ministry of Food (MOF), a restaurant chain in Singapore.
7. Lily Goh, the founder of ExtraOrdinary Horizons, a social enterprise in Singapore which advocates on behalf of the deaf community.
8. Melissa Sarah Wee, a physique competitor in Singapore who competes internationally and also empowers others as a fitness instructor.
9. Nina Rotela aka Cute, a domestic worker from the Philippines who has lived in Singapore for more than 20 years and volunteers at H.O.M.E, a non-profit ogranisation that empowers migrant workers.
10. Theresa Goh, a Singaporean national swimmer and a Paralympic medalist.
Through this series of poems, Eunice hopes to encourage girls from all over the world to know they can be who they want to be and to never give up, just like these women role models whose stories give us hope and strength. This book is for the boys as well, who will play a really important role and be there to empower these girls, to respect women and to help bring our world to gender parity.
Having also been inspired by many people who are differently abled, many of whom have been featured on WomenTalk, Eunice felt the best people to illustrate the books would be differently abled artists. 10 talented artists have interpreted the poems in their own unique way and have given life and perspective to the words in the poems.
This book is filled with beautiful illustrations and memorable poems. Some additional features of the book include:
These poems are easy to read and my favorite story is about the swimmer, Theresa! I want to be strong like her. Mummy helped me with some words and we had fun reading the stories together.
I learnt to never give up and anything can happen if you try. I also learnt the virtue of determination.
Girls can do great things also.
As doctors have helped me before, I want to help others too when I grow up.
If you are interested in an education program based on the values, such as courage, strength, and resilience, please contact us to do a school program in Singapore or Malaysia, or we can provide you with resources to do in your home country